Founded in 1846, the Smithsonian is the world's largest museum and research complex, consisting of 19 museums and galleries, the National Zoological Park, and nine research facilities.
- Manages the development of new websites made by the OCIO for all Units (Museums, Research Facilities, etc.)
- Manages the Smithsonian Institution OCIO LAMP based instrastructure for websites
- Manages the hosting of Drupal, WordPress, Omeka and other LAMP based websites at SI OCIO
Quotient is a systems integrator and IT services solution company for commercial, government organizations and federal agencies. Quotient's customers include the Department of Education and the Smithsonian Institution. I was hired to serve full-time at the Smithsonian Institution OCIO Web Services Division on the National Mall, Washington, D.C.
Full time employee stationed at client locations working with implementing enterprise applications (mostly open source).
Principal Enterprise Applications Architect - Drupal / Open Source
at the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) - Web Services Division (on-site, National Mall)
- Consolidate Open Source websites from different museums (Drupal, WordPress, etc.)
- Plan and organize for ongoing maintenance
- Provide a framework for optimizing site performance
- Consolidate and disseminate best practices
- Develop new museum websites in Drupal
Providing infrastructure hosting and Drupal website development services for Smithsonian Institution websites (a few examples, more than 50 in all):
Drupal 6 & 7
- National Museum of American History
- Smithsonian Institution Library
- Smithsonian Institution Archives
- National Museum of Natural History - Osteoware
- National Museum of Natural History - DC Birds
- National Museum of Natural History - Asiloid Flies
- Office of Exhibits Central
- National Air & Space Museum - Time & Navigation
- National Air & Space Museum - Copilot (Web Mobile Tour)
- Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute - eMammal (restriced access)
- Office of Advancement - Smithsonian Campaign (restricted access)
- Digitization Program Office
- Digitization Program Office - x3D
A staffing company that placed me on assignment with MetroStar Systems, Inc. located in Reston, Virginia. Worked full time on various open source initiatives and assisted the sales team in developing new and maintaining exisiitng customer relationships.
Contracted (6 months) by MetroStar Systems (located in Reston, VA):
- Work with a team of open source developers, designers and new media professionals to help establish an open source practice within the company.
- Actively contribute and participate in business development efforts including lead generation and proposal writing.
- Work with customers on open source initiatives.
Major contract work:
Lead a team of contractors from MetroStar Systems and Seabourne Consulting working with the team from the Department of Commerce to create a content publication framework built upon the Drupal web content management system. Consisted of a Drupal instance that maintained content centrally and then distributed content to public facing or internal Drupal sites.
Information Technology Consulting Services (NASDAQ: GIB)31,000 professionals in 125 offices worldwide providing end-to-end Information Technology and business process services.
Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC)
Designing and implementing a custom eCommerce solution to automate the paper-based processes of the SCC. Provide the ability for customers to file and pay for services online.
Design all new modules and document business requirements by working with all levels within the business
Work directly with the development team lead to ensure requirements are met.
Create, maintain and report on development status using requirements traceability matrix (RTM) and custom reporting
Design all test plans, develop scenarios, create and execute scripts (both manual and automated)
Ensure that all changes are properly planned and integrated into the production environment (change management)
- Stationed at the office of the Chief Applications Officer for the Commonwealth of Virginia serving as a technical advisor and webmaster for all projects within the program.
Implemented multiple web portals (Drupal) to facilitate communications with the public and other state agencies.
Implemented an open source (OrangeHRM) time keeping system to track and report on personnel costs associated with each project.
Evaluating and recommending internally developed or commercial sourced Enterprise grade applications for state agencies (ERP, BI, eCommerce, ECM)
Designing servers and networks for new enterprise grade systems (BI, ECM, Performance Budgeting)
Started a small consulting company to service enterprise software.
ERP Implementations and support for SAP Business One
Support for the implementation of business intelligence and reporting systems (Crystal Reports, Reporting Services, LogiXML, LogiReport, etc.).
Database creation (MS SQL), normalization, conversion (ETL with iBolt to SAP Business One), and transfers (iBolt)
System integration using iBolt Hardware and software support for local businesses
SAP Channel Partner selling and implementing SAP Business One for the Food and Beverage Industry.
SAP Business One channel partner with a focus on wholesale distribution systems. The Elevation Group closed for business in February of 2008 and the FoodOne software is now being sold by SoftEngine.
- Implementation and training of SAP Business One, Web Tools, XL Reporter, Queries and PLD for different organizations
- Implementation and design of Crystal Reports XI & Crystal Xcelsius (Business Objects), and Reporting Services (Microsoft) reports and dashboards for customers to extend the functionality of SAP Business One
- Extracted, Transformed, and Loaded (ETL) the legacy data to SAP Business One from a variety of sources using Software Labs - xFusion and Magic Software’s - iBolt (certified).
- System integration using iBolt (SAP Business One to Warehouse Management System)
- Served as the wholesale distribution industry expert (food & beverage) in a position that spans sales, marketing, development, and consulting
- Designed all industry specific applications and direct the focus and pace of development for the product
- Worked directly with development staff to set priorities and monitor progress.
- Created marketing strategies designed to penetrate and target specific industry segments
- Planned and executed marketing plans and advertising campaigns - email campaigns, online demos, websites, and documents for trade shows, booth designs, and white papers
- Attended industry specific trade shows to support the efforts of the sales team
- Provided pre-sales support through formalized product demonstrations of functionality to potential clients both in-person and through online meetings
- Worked with clients to customize the software to their individual business requirements and manage the changes through the development process
- Trained the internal staff on the finer points of the wholesale distribution industry
A wholesale, broad-line, food warehousing and distribution company.
- Worked directly with the Executive VP of Sales and Marketing to provide corporate level analytics over all 19 subsidiary locations. Annual net sales are in excess of $5B
- Designed and developed data warehouse (SQL 2000 & SQL 2005) driven reports with graphs, tables, and drill-downs to be delivered through the Microsoft Reporting Services Report Server
- Directed the rollout of solutions to internal customers
- Other technologies utilized include the integration of ASP pages and stored procedures to control pre-run criteria for reports and the maintenance of legacy crystal reports
- Installation of and training on ProClarity
- Managed requirements, prepared project management and SDLC documents for Sarbanes Oxley audits
- Started as a junior RPG programmer and was quickly promoted to a key position within the team
- Implemented ERP systems
- Performed functionality gap analyses
- Determined hardware requirements for new systems
- Configured and purchased all systems and ordered all peripherals
- Executed legacy data transfers
- Developed new ERP applications
Performance Food Group is the third largest wholesale distribution company in the United States delivering food, chemicals, and supplies to foodservice facilities such as restaurants, schools, hospitals, and military facilities.
- Directed a 24/7 computer center that supported every aspect of PFG’s most profitable subsidiary
- Managed during an aggressive growth period when sales grew from 300M to nearly 500M
- Created and met IT budgets based on the current and future needs of a quickly growing distribution company
- Purchased and negotiated all cost relating to computer hardware, maintenance contracts, and hardware supplies
- Planned and executed the infrastructure expansion to meet the needs of a sales staff growing from approximately 40 sales representatives to over 80. Expansion included hardware purchases, software installation, and training
Trained, maintained, and supported for all software systems including:
- ERP system
- Remote sales order system (Sales Representative & Customer remote order entry system)
- Procurement Logistics system (TMS 2000)
- Trained, maintained, configured, and installed all internal computer hardware
- Initiated and assembled the company’s first Systems Quality Assurance Department.
- Unit and system tested all changes to ERP system.
- Implemented automated testing tools and implemented and controlled the company’s software release process.
- Tested of all public and private websites for the company.
- Developed User Interface Standards to maintain a consistent look and feel for the entire system.
- Created change management workflow and developed the accompanying system to support the procedures.
- Created and processed Quality Assurance metrics utilizing Crystal Reports and Crystal Reports Server.
- Designed ERP Online Help System (ASP) - A website was custom designed to allow iSeries ERP users to access help content based on the specific screen they were working with.
- Organized a Procurement (purchasing) User team for the purpose of analyzing purchasing practices as they related to the ERP system
- Built the in-house software development team tasked with optimizing purchasing systems
- Managed and balanced the development team’s workload and tracked and the progress of each project
- Developed the model for what eventually became the company’s project management methodology
- Multi-Vendor Load System – Maximized truckload space when purchasing from multiple vendors
- USDA Pass Through Value System – Benefiting federal school food programs
- Assembled a team of field representatives to monitor profitability at all subsidiary locations.
- Identified opportunities to lower costs in the supply chain and established best practices by developing supporting software applications.
- Collected, organized, and prioritized all programming tasks, designed solutions, and managed the development process (SDLC) to implementation.
- Designed and developed a Business Monitoring system (management by exception) which will look for business issues within the enterprise system, as they occur, and will notify the appropriate individual that can act upon that information.